Thursday 18 November 2010

Lightbulb Moment

Here is a very clever and rather sexy guy named Stephen Johnson talking about ideas, or to be more specific, the climates and situations in which good ideas come about. He starts his presentation talking about the lightbulb moment: that sudden flash of cognitive energy when inspiration strikes.

Of all the theories about ideas, this is the most prevalent. The concept of inspiration being a fleeting, momentary sensation is rather well established, going back at least to Archimedes, who had his trope codifying 'Eureka' moment while chillin' in the bath.

The generally understood notion is that inspiration strikes as an outside force: the solution to a problem bursts fully formed from somewhere else, some other situation, another piece of understanding, or perhaps simply from the ether. My favourite depiction of ideas comes from Terry Pratchett, who in one of his novels describes them as an actual universal force: actual particles of inspiration sleet through the fabric of the universe, occasionally striking a receptive neuron and leading to the birth of another idea. One of 'Leonard Of Quirm's' (Pratchett's counterpart to Leonardo Da Vinci) first inventions is a metal hat designed to keep these inspiration particles out, as he is embarrassed to keep waking up to find new designs for siege engines scrawled all over his bedsheets. 

In his presentation, Stephen Johnson points out that most truly good ideas do not come from nowhere, but are actually the product of a climate of intellectual discussion, industrial drive and general investigative discourse. My favourite moment in the talk is when he links the sudden scientific rush of the Enlightenment to the introduction of coffee into early modern British society. Up until that point most of what people drank during the day would have been alcoholic, which hardly pertains to an atmosphere of frantic industry. Suddenly people were sitting around drinking coffee all day instead of beer and the scientific breakthroughs started to flow (this might also explain why those swotty, tea-drinkin' ancient Chinese were inventing fireworks and paper and stuff while we were still messing around with earth kilns).

So the coffee house and the scientific institute became the nexus of good ideas, and remain so to this day. But Archimedes didn't have his revelation in a coffee shop, he had it half-way into the bathtub.

I'm bringing this up because I recently had what I consider to be a good idea myself. I'm off to America in the spring of next year, partly for research for the novel but mostly because I have itchy feet. I've always felt the need to go to America: it's the seat of practically all my culture, and so a trip there is a pilgrimage of sorts, as well as an adventure.

I had idly explored various ways to write about the trip. The simplest one would probably be a blog, something I'm obviously no stranger to. In fact, the first blog I ever wrote was a travelogue of my journey through New Zealand, Australia and Borneo with my girlfriend. The girlfriend sadly decided to find someone else, but the blog still exists, and you can read it  here if you like.

I decided, however, that I didn't  feel like writing a blog about my time in America. Firstly it can be a little bit time consuming, which doesn't always work out if you are constantly on the road. Also the pressure to keep constantly updating can make it seem like a burden or a chore, something I definitely didn't want on this particular jaunt across the pond.

But, while I was on the Megabus back from Leeds the other day, I had a lightbulb moment. Suddenly a whole project unfurled in my mind like a time-lapsed flower, and by the time I got back to London I had ironed out most of the kinks. I'm VERY excited about it: I think it's just the sort of thing I've been looking for. Even if I follow though with it the project won't be up and running for a long time yet, so I won't say too much now. Anyway, the point of this post is not the project plug, but the moment behind it.

Eureka means, literally, "I have found." Archimedes was searching for the solution to a specific problem (having been tasked by the King of Syracuse to determine if a crown was solid gold or of cheaper construction) before he got in the water. He was so pleased that he went running in the nuddy-pants through the streets, although in my opinion, he was probably more chuffed with the invention of hydrostatics than solving the specific puzzle.

Some good ideas may come, seemingly, out of nowhere. Occasionally, looking at a natural phenomenon or situation might lead you to consider a problem, a question, that you might otherwise never have realised existed. The apocryphal 'Newton and Apple' story is a good example, at least conceptually (again, I'm pretty sure it didn't take an apple falling on his head to make possibly the greatest scientific mind ever consider why stuff falls down).

But my point is that in order to find a solution, you have first to find the problem. I'm pretty chuffed with my good idea, partly because I think it really does have legs, but mostly because I'm just glad to have had it in the first place. It gives me a sense of my own potential, something that had been a bit thin on the ground lately.

I know there are people out there who think themselves capable of at least one big idea, and I agree with them. I bang on all the time on this blog about the individual's ability to take charge of their own life. But here's the kicker: inspiration is not like the particles in a Pratchett novel. It will only come if you make the conditions right.

Maybe you should start hanging out in coffee houses more. Perhaps you should spend more time in scientific institutions. I know you oughta start drinking less booze. But whatever you do, you need to set yourself a problem, a set of parameters, first. Like Archimedes, you'll find only what you look for.

Inspiration is more like a forest fire than a single flash of lightning. The lightning is just the start: you have to ready to burn.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

I'm very much looking forward to this idea of yours you have a brewing.
Will you spill beans or not?